The first weekend together we spent a lot of time discuss the difference between the instructional leader versus the school manager. We discussed the 21 leadership qualities and what role they fell into. During this discussion, Jessica made a great point when stating that most people believe that the school manager is a look down upon position. They would rather be the instructional leader because it seems more elite and the desired title. Through this discussion we made the realization that a great leaders needs to be both an instructional leader but also a school manger. The two jobs go hand in hand....there is not one without the other.
Through my teaching experiences and clinical experiences, I can see how these two jobs need to be considered one. My first year of teaching my principal was only a school manager. There was not a lot of focus but on instruction. With my current principal, I see the balance between the instructional leader and the school manger. Specific management details have been put into place in order for good instruction to take place. As a future leader, I hope and plan to find the right balance between the instructional leader and the school manager, providing the best learning environment for the students and staff.
Crissa, I agree with your post about principals needing to be good school managers and instructional leaders. I have had the same experiences with principals that are strong in one area but not necessarily another. I think that's why it's important to surround yourself with a "team" that can help compliment your weaknesses and fill in the "gap" so-to-speak. I hope that someday I might be a balanced instructional leader and school manager.
ReplyDelete