My biggest take away from this weekend was our work with Lara Justman at the Urbandale Middle School. She was able to provide us multiple opportunities to think about issues that can arise on a daily basis and ways we can solve those issues. Not only did we discuss our ideas to solve these issues but she shared how she would solve those issues. As a classroom teacher, I can easily solve issues with in my classroom but this opportunity to "practice" for the large scale issues Thanks Lara!
Another take away was our discussion with Jason Glass. He was able to give me a better understanding of the Blueprint for the Future of Iowa Education. He made a point to tell us several times that the blueprint was a list of several ideas and we should consider it a starting point. Thanks Jason!
Adam Tjeerdsma was great to listen and learn from as well this weekend. He gave me great insights to life as a beginning administrator. The interview tips will be essential for me to use as I begin to look for my first administrative position this coming spring. Thanks Adam!
The more classes, speakers, and assignments we complete for this program, the more I solidify the desire to become an administrator.
Crissa, I agree that the more hands on learning we are provided with through this Drake experience the more excited we become about the learning involved. Here was my Ah Ha moment after reading your blog... Student centered classrooms make all the difference in how students learn for understanding and are able to transfer learning to other situations. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteCrissa,
ReplyDeleteI am in the same boat with you about the speakers. It makes everything real for me and when I start hearing the same things over and over such as the amount of time it takes to do the job, I can really start to make a mental image of the job. The time with Lara showed me how collaborative decisions can yield much better results.