I recently read an article about preschool and how it's effects can impact the achievement gap. This article was posted by Educational Leadership. As a 1st grade teacher, I encounter students every year who have and have not had preschool prior to kindergarten. The majority of the students who have not received preschool struggle with their education. The standards for kindergarten and first grade continue to change and students are continuing to struggle. Parents are unaware of what their child needs to know before they enter school. When students are able to attend preschool they are given the opportunity to become academically ready for school.
Another aspect that preschool provides for children is the opportunity to socialize with other children. They are exposed to the social behaviors that occur during school. Socialization gives children the opportunities to collaborate and learn from one another. I am a huge advocate of preschool and will continue to be an advocate if preschool programs can help close the achievement gap and allow children to be successful.
No comments:
Post a Comment